Alex and Jonathan head south of the border this week to talk about three Mexican films: Macario (1960), Amores Perros (2000), and Pan’s Labyrinth (2006). We talk the significance of a story within the story, the international influence of Quentin Tarantino, and how Hollywood has benefitted from Mexican filmmakers.
Also on iTunes
Skip to: Macario (4:06), Amores Perros (20:02), Pan’s Labyrinth (43:28), Overall (1:03:18), Coming Attractions (1:10:15)
Resources referenced in this episode:
- Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!
- Alex on Twitter: @AlexGeringer
- Jonathan on Twitter: @JSSatchell
Next stop, Germany!
We’re heading to one of the foundational movements of the film medium and looking at three films in German Expressionism:
- The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) – Available on YouTube
- Nosferatu (1922) – Available on YouTube
- Metropolis (1927) – Available on Netflix