Don’t bring a six-shooter to a katana fight.
Samurai and Sombreros won our recent Twitter poll so Alex and Jonathan take a look at Akira Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai (1954) and its western adaptation The Magnificent Seven (1960). We talk about archetypal stories, cultural influence on art, and using inspiration to create a new and distinct work.
Also on iTunes
Skip to: Seven Samurai (5:29), The Magnificent Seven (25:54), Overall (50:51), Coming Attractions (1:11:45)
Resources referenced in this episode:
- Akira Kurosawa – Composing Movement
- A Bug’s Life
- Alex’s mystery knight adaptation: Ironclad (2011)
- Alex on Twitter: @AlexGeringer
- Jonathan on Twitter: @JSSatchell
Next week we take a look at some of John Hughes’ most iconic high school films.
- Sixteen Candles (1984)
- The Breakfast Club (1985)
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986) – Available on Netflix